HomeVatican Radio
Vatican Radio   
more languages  

     Home > Justice and Peace >  2013-05-23 17:26:27
A+ A- print this page



Filipino workers swamp Saudi Arabia consulates



(May 23, 2013) Filipino workers in Saudi Arabia trying to beat a deadline to amend their employment status or face arrest, have flocked to Philippine consulates, overwhelming consular workers. The Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila on Tuesday urged Filipinos looking to leave Saudi Arabia to keep calm.
Earlier on Saturday, a group of Filipinos stormed the consulate in Jeddah to demand passports. Several consul employees were reportedly assaulted, including the consul who was allegedly punched by one irate worker. "The government is doing everything to help them but they must follow procedures prescribed by the Saudi government if they want to be repatriated," said Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez. At least 164 undocumented workers, including children, have been repatriated from Saudi Arabia this week, but migrant rights group Migrante said some 4,000 workers have set up camp around the embassy and consulate to demand immediate repatriation. Relatives of stranded workers, however, trooped to the Foreign Affairs office in Manila to call on the government to implement a "free, swift, and mass repatriation" of workers.
The Saudi government has given the workers until July 4 to correct their employment status as the government fully implements the "Nitaqat" system, which prioritizes the employment of Saudis over migrant workers.
Philippine officials fear that some 20,000 Filipinos have entered Saudi Arabia without proper papers. The kingdom remains a top destination, with about 1.5 million Filipino overseas workers there currently.
Source Ucan:




Share






About us Schedules Contacts VR Productions Links Other languages Holy See Vatican State Papal liturgies
All the contents on this site are copyrighted ©. Webmaster / Credits / Legal conditions / Advertising