HomeVatican Radio
Vatican Radio   
more languages  

     Home > Justice & Peace >  2013-08-26 17:45:50
A+ A- print this page



Egypt court delays trial of Brotherhood leaders as Mubarak appears in court



The Associated press on Sunday reported that a Cairo court has delayed to October hearings against Muslim Brotherhood leaders accused in connection to the killing of protesters. The three, including the Islamist group's leader Mohammed Badie, were not present at Sunday's session for security reasons. The next session will be on Oct. 29. Egypt launched a massive crackdown on the Islamist movement after moving to break up two sit-ins in Cairo on Aug. 14, triggering the worst bout of violence since the country's 2011 uprising against Hosni Mubarak.
Authorities allege that Morsi supporters have committed acts of terrorism since the coup, pointing to a string of attacks against churches and government buildings. The Brotherhood and Morsi supporters deny their protests are violent and deny that they attack churches, accusing authorities of smearing their movement.
But Rights groups, say Islamist groups have incited violence against Christians, who have been blamed collectively for Morsi's overthrow. The Egyptian Initiative For Personal Rights issued a report on Sunday documenting what it said was an ``unprecedented spike in scale of sectarian violence and reprisals'' against Coptic Christians over a four-day period in August. At least 45 churches came under attack and a total of seven citizens were killed, the initiative said. It blamed security forces for failing to intervene and Islamist groups for helping to ``feed the current wave of sectarian attacks.''
Islamists also issued renewed calls on Sunday for demonstrations in a statement. Analysts say that arrests and killings appear to have weakened the Brotherhood's ability to mobilize its following. Calls for rallies failed on Saturday as the government eased up the curfew hours affecting much of the country.
Meantime, Mubarak appeared before another court for a session of his retrial on charges of killing protesters during the 2011 uprising. Mubarak has been in detention since April 2011. He was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison last year for failing to stop the killing of some 900 protesters in the 18-day 2011 uprising, but his sentence was overturned on appeal. In April, his retrial opened along with those of his security chief and six top police commanders. His trial has been postponed to Sept. 14.




Share





About us Schedules Contacts VR Productions Links Other languages Holy See Vatican State Papal liturgies
All the contents on this site are copyrighted ©. Webmaster / Credits / Legal conditions / Advertising